Sunday, May 31, 2015

"Spanning the Mississippi"

"Spanning the Mississippi"

As a child, I sometimes played along the banks of the mighty Mississippi on the Natchez side when I visited my great Aunt who lived on Canal Street. I clearly remember the unusual, coarse, gritty consistency of the river sand and clay, and all of the river debris that washed up on the banks: old, dead tree stumps, trash, bottles, logs, lumber and sometimes, the heavy steel cabled tow-ropes as seen in the foreground here, laying half buried in sand. 

Despite the modern bridges, this image has an ancient lonely, melancholy feel to it; which for me, the river has always seemed to exude. The banks and the river are a favorite landscape subject for me, and it always seems to present something new and different.

This shot is from the Vidalia, Louisiana side looking back east across the river toward Natchez, Mississippi. It was taken in May 2015 with a Nikon D810, using a Nikkor 16mm fisheye lens: f/3.5; ISO 64; at 1/25th of a second.

No comments:

Post a Comment